Creating an architecture report with Klocwork Architect
You can create a graphical report on your entire software system, or a portion of it, in either HTML or PDF format. You can create reports for any of the custom diagram or models available in the Project Tree view. The reports can be used to compare two custom diagrams or two models or to provide a reference for the changes that need to be performed on a software system. The reports are also a way to view all annotations in a software system.
Creating an architecture report
- Click a custom diagram or a model in the Project Tree view, or click in the Graphic view of a custom diagram or model.
- Optional: Select entities in the Project Tree view or Graphic view that you want included in the report.
- Click Tools > Create report....
- The Create Report dialog appears.
- Select directories in the hierarchy tree to include in the report by clicking the checkbox next to the directory name. Use the plus sign (+) to expand the hierarchy levels. (If you selected entities in Step 2, they will be pre-selected.)
- Tip: To select (or de-select) all directories in a particular hierarchy level, Ctrl-click that hierarchy level. However, ctrl-clicking will select only the directories within that hierarchy level. If the hierarchy contains additional subdirectory levels that you want to include in your report, you must expand the tree and select them as well.
- Type a file path and name in the Report Name field, or click Browse... to navigate to the desired location. The default location is the user's home directory:
- Windows: \Documents and Settings\<username>
- UNIX: /home/<username>
- If you clicked Browse..., the Create Report in... dialog appears. Use the fields to navigate to the desired location and specify a file name. Click OK when you are finished.
- Select either HTML or PDF in the Report Format drop-down list.
- Click Generate Report.
- A progress dialog appears while the report is being generated.
- The report is created in the directory you specified.
- For HTML format, the diagrams used in the report are stored in .png format in a subdirectory named <report-name>.html.files. For example, if you created an HTML report called "My_report", the diagrams would be stored in a subdirectory named My_report.html.files.
Structure of the architecture report
The Architecture Report is divided into several sections, each of which is described below.
This section provides the project name, the build name, the model name, and the report creation date. In addition, it provides a list of relationship types that were displayed in the Graphic view when the report was generated.
Note: To change the relationship types displayed in the report, see Managing how you view relationships.
Table of Contents
This section provides a table of contents for the report similar to the Project Tree view. The table of contents is hyperlinked to other sections in the report.
For each entity selected in the Create Report dialog, the following sections appear:
This section provides a graphical view of the entity. Each entity in the diagram is hyperlinked to the Description section (if the entity was selected to be included in the report).
Entity annotations appear in this section. For more information on annotations, see Using annotations in Klocwork Architect.
This section provides details on all of the child components displayed in the entity diagram above, in the form of a list of entity names and entity types.